Meeting Minutes: January 19,
Yacht and Beach Club, Cape Cod
Members: Vince Schuurman
(Chairman) absent, Nathan Freeman (acting Chairman), Ludwig Nastansky,
Justin Hill, John Head, Brent Peters, Scott Johnsen
Others Present: Peter Tanner, Niklas
Heidloff, Corey Davis, Bruce Lil, Steve Castledine, Angus MacIntyre,
Meeting called to order at 6:00
pm ET by Nathan Freeman
General Business –
Several members of OpenNTF are
We have 2 openings for Steering
Bruce Lill – Kalechi Designs
Corey Davis – Conxsys
Bruce Elgort – Elgugi
We will hold a vote at the next
Steering Committee meeting.
Winners of the contest have been
Bruce will highlight the project
of the month to help get exposure to OpenNTF projects.
The winners will be posted immediately
and remain for 30 days.
Review of organizational structure.
Strategy Working Group
– Nathan Freeman
John is looking into what it will
take to become a non-profit. There is no real legal framework around OpenNTF
today, but we are looking at what it would take.
GroupLive –Platform and Service
– Data Center in Atlanta. We are looking at how we can use that service
to provision servers for OpenNTF.
Web site improvements. Search,
Projects, Index code on OpenNTF so that Google Search, Yahoo search, etc.
Looking at how to help x-pages
development take place more easiliy.
Would like to simplify the contribution
process and give more credit to those contributing code to OpenNTF.
Looking at how to have a link from
Domino Designer directly to OpenNTF.
When will other Lotus Code be part
have already started non-Domino products including Sametime,
like other code for widgets, plug-ins, SVN, etc.
Should we rename OpenNTF to OpenLotus?
a brand, we should stick with OpenNTF.
Still missing from OpenNTF – Developer
relations. Looking to grow OpenNTF to grow the membership to start beating
the drums to start beating the drum to write code for OpenNTF. Build list
through user group meetings, etc. Monthly Podcasts
Create list of ideas – Business
Start off this activity.
What is the development plan for
the organization? Bruce suggests that we post a development plan on the
OpenNTF site and then deliver to the plan.
This will help
Goals by quarter.
Declan - There is a loss of community
sense. A feeling of “us” and “them”.
Tehre is still a lot of fear, uncertainty
and doubt (FUD) around the agreements, etc. Work needs to be done to make
these more “user friendly.”
More recognized as a platform rather
than a community. Which is it? Both, but we need more emphasis on the community.
99.9% fo those accedssing the site
Looking to get real development
teams together with high visitbility projects.
Bringing code back into Designer
would also be great motivation.
We need to have project ideas right
on the home page.
DeveloperWorks – IBM marketing
group to developers already. Should we look at how these can be complimentary?
Does IBM have projects that they
can’t work on that they would like “the community” to work on?
DXL as an example of IBM pushing
for Open Source help to get this done. IBM will not make a lot of money
on, so this could be a good example of something the community could help
The discussion template might be
a good example of a project to get a community project going.
We need to look at how to make
projects “out of the box” ready. Something Admins want to install. We
should solicit feedback from Admins on various projects.
OpenNTF Distibution project (store)
Market the composite application
message – loosely coupled components.
GANTT chart view of applications
to look at time lines.
The Mission Statement should be
rewritten if we are going to extend beyond Lotus Notes/Domino.
Attendee here because of the buzz
he heard in sessions – He is looking at OpenNTF to help the community
learn about new technologies and moving forward with where the market is
Managing the point system for DeveloperWorks
might be a good OpenNTF project.
Current site doesn’t do anything
to help collaborate on projects. This would help.
On board a new employee might
be a good project
Web content like Alfresco
Mail Templates – Take this to
another level. Probably the most dangerous template to try.
Support could be a way to monetize
Rob Novack’s model for templates.
Standardized way to put those into
the product – drag and drop,etc.
IP Working Group
- John Head
No update at this time.
Technical Committee Update
by Niklas Heidloff & Steve Castledine
400 new applications
80 new members
There was a lot of OpenNTF exposure
in the Lotusphere presentations including the OSG.
Marketing Working Group
– Scott Johnsen
No update at this time.
Meeting adjourned at 11:45 am ET
Minutes submitted by Scott Johnsen
provided in the meeting invitation.